2011-11-29

cream puff.........

Today I really, really, really wanted to eat a cream puff. I have no idea why. I thought of it early in the day, and the thought never left me.

The problem is, there is no cream puff sold anywhere on our campus. So I settled on buying either cupcakes at Sprinkles or cream puffs at the grocery store on my way home. Thus I set myself to fantasizing for the rest of the day.

But of course, there was no way I was going to be able to put off having cream puffs until the end of the day. So, naturally, I caved. The substitute I thought of was the Madagascar Vanilla Freddo (with whip) from Peet's coupled with a chocolate scone.

Bad, bad. Glutens everywhere. (Of course, the only gluten-free option I'd thought of anyway were the gluten-free cupcakes from Sprinkles...but still.)

Anyway, on my way home I looked for cream puffs at the grocery store. But get this—they weren't there. Not at Whole Foods, not at Ralphs, not even frozen kinds at Trader Joe's. ???

So now I am determined to make shortcakes from the Babycakes cookbook instead, just to win out this battle of the cream puffs. Of course, shortcakes aren't quite cream puffs, but I don't think I can make those myself gluten-free and have them turn out edible. So shortcakes they will have to be. At least with plenty of whipped cream, I won't be able to tell the difference.

(Ah, cream puffs...in Japan we call them Choux Creme. One day, one day...)

No comments:

Post a Comment