2011-11-11

she should not have eaten them seeds.

One of our CSA boxes at the end of October contained a pomegranate, and since we were gone for that weekend I got around to opening it a number of days later. (Jack at my old work taught me to open pomegranates underwater...thanks for the tip, Jack!)

Pomegranates are one of those things of nature that amaze me every time I open them. I feel that way about other fruits too, like dragon fruits and kiwis. They look kind of suspicious on the outside (they have a hard shell, or spikes, or a fuzzy skin), but  when you open it it's just stunningly beautiful. (I was tempted to add cherimoyas to the list, but they look suspicious on the outside and the inside...) And pomegranates just taste so...good. They look like jewels, and they hit you with their tart bite. (I wonder if this valuation applies to people as well...)

Every time I think of pomegranates, I am always reminded of the Greek myth about Persephone and how she was abducted by Hades into the underworld. I liked how he made a deal with Persephone's mother to have her stay in the underworld six months out of year, on the account that she ate six pomegranate seeds. Huh?! How does that make sense? But he's cute, he must have really liked her and wanted her to stay with him.

That was the first Greek myth that I remember reading in English. I'd read a lot of Greek mythology as a kid in Japanese, but after I moved to the United States I had to learn how to say words like "Persephone" and "pomegranate"...

(I meant to take a landscape photo of the pomegranate seeds...but I guess I forgot to. Oh wells.)

No comments:

Post a Comment