2011-12-01

四川

今天晚上,我跟我男朋友去了《巴人四川》,一起吃了晚飯...

Oh man, I really have to learn how to use my 了...that and TD (time duration). Grammar will be the death of me in Chinese...

Anyway, dinner was lovely—as always everything was delicious, though this time nothing was too spicy, so we could enjoy our meal without sweating a whole lot. But before that we had gone to Mitsuwa, and I in my excitement had bought way too much vegetables...I'm not sure if I can use them all up before they spoil. I'm going to have to look for Japanese food recipes tonight before I go to sleep...

Speaking of Japanese food, I had been meaning to write about my dad's tie for a while now. I know, it seems unrelated... (Maybe it is.) But I guess the logic is that, speaking of Japanese food, oh, right, my dad eats Japanese food too! Hence the connection.

So right, the tie. I used to have this strange thing of using ties as belts. My (now) brother-in-law begged me to stop the habit because he thought it was weird, but to be honest, ties are a lot more preferable to use as belts than actual belts. For one thing, they're soft—so they don't have that uncomfortable feeling of constricting you. Plus they often come in stylish colors and designs, which is much more interesting than your run-of-the-mill belts off the rack.

But once I moved and threw out a bunch of things, I also ended up throwing out most of the ties I used to use as belts. (Ties are a little fragile, so if you use them for a while, they start to wear and tear. Literally.) And it was only recently that my dad offered me one of his ties to resurrect my old tie-as-belt habit, if I wanted to. Dad has so many ties that he no longer wears (I guess the dress code is less strict here than in Japan), so the selection was quite exciting. But just to make sure my brother-in-law wouldn't get sad about my lapsing back into the questionable habit, I decided to start out with just one.

The tie I chose is mustard yellow, with chestnut brown and khaki green stripes. I actually wear brown and green every other day, so it works out well. Plus it matches one of the Slainte bags I have, so I could not be happier.

But to be honest, somehow I feel more hesitant about wearing my tie now than I was five years ago. Could it be that I am becoming more fashionably conservative with age? Oh geez.

Anyway, I am telling you. Ties as belts. It's a classic concept, but it's not appreciated enough. It also works perfectly if you go out to a really good Japanese restaurant with your parents and you eat too much...or maybe to the Sichuan restaurant with the too-yummy food...

No comments:

Post a Comment