2011-12-02

Happy December 1st!

Several good things happened today. One, my salary for the month showed up in my bank account. Woot. Two, I (finally) turned in a revision of my prospectus to my co-chair. That is a step, even if he does not approve it. Three, Buddy and I went to see a show at The Loft...for me, the first time in a long time. Success.

Well, let me take that back. The show itself was not a success. We went to see Marco Benevento, with a opening duo that was comprised by a prof and a grad student in the music department. I...have no idea what to make of the opening duo. It's partially because I didn't stay to listen. But that's because what little I heard from them, I could not really enjoy. They were the "experimental improvisation" type, and I...yeah. I just can't do that, I guess.

Marco Benevento, on the other hand, was interesting. I think I had expected something more produced than what he performed tonight. Obviously I should not ask for music that sounds like James Figurine or The Postal Service or even Freelance Whales when the guy is playing live (with a bassist and a drummer, to boot). But...I don't know, there was something unkempt, something about it that just didn't come together enough for me. I described it to Buddy on our walk home as being "not clean," "not coalescing." Maybe an unfair assessment, but.

Regardless, I am happy for our stop at The Loft. It's such a cute venue, with drinks (and food). The interior is cute, though the music can get kind of loud, even the playlists they play during lunch. But for a kind of fancy lunch on campus (or an accessible venue), it is not too shabby at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment