2012-04-09

Shhhhh.

Today I was craving sweets so badly, I just threw whatever was in my cupboard to make myself some chocolate johnnypancakes. That's right. Chocolate johnnypancakes.

At first I wasn't sure what to call them. They're not cookies, exactly. They're actually not really pancakes, either, though they kind of look like them. (And the consistency was more pancake than anything else, like cookies or bread/cake.) But they're not really johnnycakes either, since they're not made of cornmeal. And most importantly, it's got cocoa powder in it! So, what in the world is it? And whatever the name may be, is it edible??!!

Well...chocolate syrup makes everything better. I don't think I'd ever make these again (I don't think I can, even if I tried), but I've got leftovers of them in the fridge that should do well to satisfy my sweets cravings during the coming week. So I suppose I saved myself a trip to Trader Joe's.

This is just another instance of me attempting to practice using language carefully—my fifth and final resolution for year 2012.This has several components to it, which I haven't yet figured out:

1. Choose words carefully
2. Think before I speak
3. No swearing (::sigh::)
4. Practice using foreign languages
5. Consider if I have to say anything at all

Those are probably the larger breakdowns, though there may be others and they may overlap. But I suppose, when I say "language," I really mean...I want to use care when I am communicating with others. How am I expressing myself? Am I getting my point across? Is it a point worth getting across? What better ways are there to say the same thing...or, what better things can I say?

I need to be better at controlling my emotional outbursts, and I have a feeling that goes hand in hand with using language carefully. I suppose, as a linguist and a writer, I should find this prospect exciting...

[1/2 C coconut flour, 1 C gluten-free flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder, sweetened cocoa powder, and enough soy milk to make batter. Cook in coconut oil, drizzle with chocolate-flavored syrup, and enjoy while hot. Next time, I should add a pinch of salt...]

No comments:

Post a Comment