2012-04-25

Pineappe Pie?

I am trying to come up with a recipe for a gluten-free, vegan pineapple pie. (I also want to stay away from other common allergens—nuts, soy, milk, eggs.) I wondered why we don't often see pineapple pie, but I realized that in Japan we have so many of those puff pastries with pineapple fillings inside (kind of like a pineapple turnover), it's kind of the same thing.

And then I remembered the Taiwanese pineapple cake (for which I have a wonderful recipe), and I thought that I can make pineapple "jam" as the filling and (since I don't feel like making a gluten-free double crust) just make a pie akin to a coconut or banana cream pie.

So yes. I'm going for a DQ Hawaiian Blizzard kind of a thing (my favorite Blizzard flavor): gluten-free crust, pineapple jam, with a banana-coconut milk custard on top. It sounds so good in theory that I'm going to be even more disappointed than usual in practice.

[That photo's not mine, by the way. As if I could make a pineapple cake that looked so good.]

No comments:

Post a Comment