2012-04-23

Crispy Curry Chicken Snack

We hold this truth to be self-evident, that Satoko does not cook meat; unless, of course, chicken thighs miraculously appear in her freezer, in which case she's going to have to whip out her meat-cooking hat and do something interesting with them.

Well, maybe not that interesting. I can barely cook vegetables, so cooking meat is basically out of the question. But a recent foray into Japanese cooking left me wanting to try marinating meat in soy sauce and sake, so I decided to do just that—and what left to do with marinated meat than to fry it? (No, Satoko does not grill.)

For the marinade I used soy sauce, sake, mirin, and some plum vinegar. (It goes into everything I make these days.) I left the cut-up pieces of chicken to marinate for about an hour while the rice cooked. Eventually I got to "frying" my chickens in a shallow pan with an even shallower film of coconut oil (about the only oil I use nowadays), with a coating of corn starch, garlic powder, and curry mix (courtesy of my former co-worker).

Thank goodness I still had some parsley left from the beet salad a few days ago. I forgot to pat the oil off the fried chickens, but it didn't really matter because I'd already neglected to trim the skins off of them anyway (willfully, I confess). Like chocolate syrup, Jack's curry powder mix makes everything better...and this Crispy Curry Chicken Snack was better than anything I could have gotten from my oft-visited TapiocaExpress (though not enough to get me to cook more meat).

1 comment:

  1. so glad u enjoyed the curry mix!
    the chicken looks and sounds yummy +
    hafta try to make some
    once i get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete