2012-06-17

What to Do With Small Animals

I met a very nice raccoon on my way home tonight. She was just chillin' outside of Center Hall. I've taken up an interest in animals recently, and I felt this was an appropriate occasion to begin contemplating how I ought to interact with critters from here on.

Rule #1: Be polite. (Duh.)
Rule #2: Meet them eye-to-eye. (It's not nice to look down on them.)
Rule #3: Ask open-ended questions. (Yes-no questions are for uncreative folk.)
Rule #4: Be clear about expectations. (If you don't have any food, come clean at the beginning.)
Rule #5: Acknowledge that you both have other things to do besides chatting with each other.

I've yet to re-encounter my baby bunny from Peterson Hall, and I am hoping she wasn't eaten by some predator. It sure is a critter-eat-critter world out there...

2 comments:

  1. The critters can become quite vicious if they feel their young are being threatened (you might not be aware that their babies are in a bush nearby) so you might want to exercise caution, especially with the raccoons (wow, spellcheck doesn't recognize the plural!). Unless this whole post hinged on substituting "undergrad" or some other word for "critter"...=P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you're right! Just replace "critter" with "undergrad" (and maybe "food" with "good grades"), and it totally works.

    ReplyDelete