2012-11-18

time passes...quietly

Today was one of those incredible days that made me grateful for all the things I have and all the things I want in my life. (I've been grateful an awful lot lately...I think I'm trying to make up for the fact that in Japan we skip Thanksgiving and go straight from Halloween to Christmas. Go figure.)

冷たい朝の空気はそっと肌に染み込んで、思わず「サングラスがあったら!」って思う程の太陽の光。何となく都会の香りがして、切なくとも幸せな気持ち。どこに目をやっても全てが不思議なくらい輝いてて、まるで間近に迫る冬の前の、秋の最後の日々!って感じでミンナが頑張ってた。

A few months ago I would've wanted to throw up just thinking about the amount of work I have to get done in the next month, but somehow lately I've been feeling very...zen. Like, calmer than a waterless Lagunita on a windless day. It's the feeling of having things I want to wait for, to fight for, to work really hard for...and I just love it. I'm like a fucking saint.

と言う訳で、(珍しく)上手い手料理をワインで味わいながら今週届く胡麻油の事を考えてると、何か人生満ち足りてるな〜って思いますね。ケーキに失敗した時にできたフライパンの焦げも落ちたし、ラベンダーのキャンドルは買ったし、論文は後何回か書き直せば(このバージョンは)終わるし······

There's a place on campus that has "old-fashioned" clocks that mark the time, like this super long one here along with a huge sundial on the floor. They aren't as accurate as the digital clocks we have now, but they remind us of the ways we used to keep time according to the important things that took place in our lives, each day, each month, each year. And I realize that time passes so slowly and yet so fast, sometimes quietly but sometimes with a deafening rush that makes us fear we're letting something important slip between our fingers. I'm looking forward to encountering all the things and people that'll make me want to not let them slip by without a fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment