2014-08-29

"Real" "'American' 'Tacos'"

The other day at the grocery store I bought two items that I ordinarily would not buy: One was meat, and the other was lettuce. (Seriously...I'll never understand what prompted the gods to bring lettuce into this world.)

What happened was this: I was at the local grocery store, minding my own business, when I encountered a box of Old El Paso Taco Kit on the clearance shelf. I felt so bad! Poor little Taco Kit...no one wanted him, so they reduced his price and tried to cast him off...

And then I thought, wait a minute. I haven't had tacos in weeks! And since I haven't been able to find corn tortillas, maybe I can save this little guy AND satisfy my cravings at the same time!

Hence the lettuce (which, also, was on clearance (man, I love Japanese grocery stores)). And I bought chicken (ALSO on clearance...WTF) because I was craving fried chicken before I found the OEPTK. And then I went home to make myself some OEP Chicken Tacos. And you know what? The end product actually looked like real American tacos! Just like they sell at Taco Bell!!!

Which, mind you, was the first meal I had when I landed in the United States all those years ago.

3 comments:

  1. There are so many things we need to discuss about this post. I will follow up later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me nervous... I hope you're not offended that I used chicken instead of ground beef......

      Delete
  2. Apparently later is apparently almost 5 years later.

    I'm not offended by chicken instead of ground beef. I'm just confused how Taco Bell was your first meal or your standard for Mexican-American food.

    Also, what's your beef with lettuce. I will grant you it's kind of bland, but that's it's purpose to be mostly flavorless, but vaguely healthy, vaguely crunchy and vaguely moist.

    ReplyDelete