2013-06-20

日本での発見 / Discoveries in Japan #34: 八百屋さん / More fruits

Today I played the "What Can I Buy With the Change in My Wallet?" game—and lost.

The game is simple: You stand in front of the grocery store (any store, really, but the grocery store is fun because it's big and has a lot of variety) and decide if you want to play the game or not. If you do decide to play, you walk into the store, and then see how much change you have in your wallet. And then you find whatever you can buy with what you've got.

If you can't (or don't) buy anything, you lose. But just because you buy something, doesn't mean you win. There are different points awarded for what and how you buy. If you buy something you actually wanted, that's extra points. If you buy something delicious/healthy, extra points. Something local/organic, extra points. Something discounted/on sale that's originally somewhat pricey, extra points. Sounds like fun, right?

I don't mind losing today, because I'd already bought stuff on my way home from my shamisen lesson. Clementines and apples from Aomori! Plus some abura-age! All for super cheap at 八尾 Cook, a store that sells fresh produce (as well as other things that tend to be expensive at grocery stores because they get imported from far away) and prepared side dishes for generous prices. Now that's a real win.

No comments:

Post a Comment