2012-10-26

日本での発見 / Discoveries in Japan #8: 柿 / Persimmons

Apparently persimmons are good for the liver, which means they're good for folks who drink a lot.

Today I saw a dude selling persimmons off of a cart outside the train station, and knowing that produce sold off of a cart tastes particularly good, I bought some. Since it was about 3 in the afternoon, the dude cut me a deal and gave me 7 persimmons for $10*, rather than the original 5 for $10 deal.

In the evening I went two train stations over to look for something, and there also I encountered a dude selling persimmons. I took the taste-test piece that was offered and, indeed, it was quite good! This dude said that these persimmons go for 4 for $10.50, but that (since it was nearly 9 PM and he needed to sell them off) he'd cut me a deal and give me 6 for $10.

Now what do you suppose I did?

I told him that 6 for $10 was too expensive and that he ought to give me 7 for the same price, to which he agreed. Which means now I have 14 persimmons sitting in my house. (Well, 13, since I just ate one.) Oh man...feel free to hit me up if you want some ripe persimmons...

誰かこの食い意地を治して下さい······

[*The currency conversion used in this post is 1 USD = 100 JPY, which is not the market rate.]

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you are there and not here, I cannot tele-transport myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Puedo enviarlos a ti! ¿Sabes que en japonés el caqui se llama "kaki"? :)

      Delete