2014-07-29

Being Thin in Japan (or Not)

Fried-chicken-on-a-skewer keeps me coming back to 7-Eleven...

I might complain about many things in Japan, but I do love its ubiquity of convenience stores. I can buy silly shit like this and also print stuff while I'm at it.

But one of the many things that make me uncomfortable about Japan is the REAL LIFE body sizes surrounding me. Clearly "body image" is not a problem unique to Japan; unrealistic standards of beauty for women and men, "fat talk", etc. in the United States are a problem, too.

But, but. The other day when I went to my health exam for my new job, it was indicated that, by the faulty standards of BMI, I was categorized as "Underweight".

But, but. I see young men walking around town, with hips and legs that are smaller and skinnier than mine. And correspondingly tiny women whose skinny legs teetering on high heels make me wonder how women in Japan bear children (which is not something I need to think about).

But, but......

No comments:

Post a Comment