2014-01-23

Online Language (English/Japanese) Lessons

So, I'm taking an class on online marketing (in all the spare time that I have...please don't judge me), and I had to submit a proposal regarding a business for a paper we're supposed to write later in the quarter. Here's what I submitted:

--
As an idea in development, my proposal outlines an online language learning service. Inspired by the demand for English classes in Japan, the service offers English and Japanese conversation lessons via Google Hangout or Skype. (The languages offered can vary depending on the conversation partners available—it’s just that I only speak English and Japanese…) The learner can choose the length and frequency of the lessons (typically between 30 and 60 minutes) and work with the same conversation partner across weeks to improve basic conversation skills in a casual and comfortable environment—at home, from a café, you name it. The service is accompanied by a site that offers language learning tips and materials that are text-, audio-, and video-based. It also provides a system for tracking progress, connecting with other students, and participating in events and activities in the local area. The service can be useful for anyone, from college students to professionals hoping to pick up conversation skills in a new language.
--

I suppose that accompanying site is this blog...

Any thoughts? Feedback? Ideas or preferences for what you'd like to see in a service like this? I'm all ears!

4 comments:

  1. Add a paintchat system which is like a virtual whiteboard that incorporates writing and drawing characters using the computer mouse or a drawing pad. Calligraphy art could also be integrated for special effects, maybe something like this: http://appbank.us/iphone/ipad-iphone-zen-brush-a-calligraphy-ink-wash-painting-app-that-the-famous-takehiko-inoueslam-dunk-uses-great-texture


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so cool! What a wonderful idea! I didn't even think that such a thing would be possible online, but yes, even handwriting characters can be practiced online!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can have a japanese skype teacher. Is it like http://preply.com/en/japanese-by-skype?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Or something like Google Helpouts (though that's shutting down on April 20, 2015). I think it'd be helpful also to have Web-based content for reading, writing, grammar, etc., in addition to the conversations...I wonder what people would find useful!

      Delete