2013-07-28

日本での発見 / Discoveries in Japan #38: 芸能人 / Celebrities

Sometimes I think, maybe if I had a celebrity crush, my life would be more interesting. I'd have someone to stalk on the Internet, I could make little squealing sounds when someone got off the plane at the airport, etc., etc. ... But as the underwhelming unfolding of my opportunity to see Satoh Takeru in real life proved, I just can't seem to care much for celebrities. Especially in Japan.

Not counting that embarrassing period in my life when I really wanted to meet Taylor Hanson in person (::sigh::), I can't share in the excitement that people feel over actors, musicians, and other celebrities. Would I be stoked if I got to talk to Lisa Hannigan? Maybe Sam Beam? Throw in a little bit of Harrison Ford for good measure? 

I'm thinking "no". Especially after being in Japan for the last several months, I've become wary of the use (in multiple senses of the word) of celebrities, where people are commodified for their looks and little else. Satoh Takeru is certainly beautiful, but that standardization of "looks" among celebrities (male and female) and the creation of both desires and complexes among consumers disturbs me.

でも「芸能人」って言葉でいいのかな?なんか高級な感じがないな〜。やっぱ「セレブ」とか「有名人」とか?!

No comments:

Post a Comment