2012-05-22

Tea Time

I have a TA meeting at noon, so I am eating my lunch in my office. And I realize, I like to drink tea.

Well, it's not so much that I like to drink tea, really. I'm not good at brewing tea. I never get the water to the right temperature, and I steep the wrong amount of tea leaves for the wrong amount of time.

But still. I like to have tea in my office (with tea bags...so shoot me), at breakfast (with catechin powder), or before I go to bed (with mint leaves and lemon slices). I like the process of making (even bad) tea. I like the hurriedness of grabbing tea before I start grading. I like using up all the hot water in the kettle to bleed ever last bit of tea I can from my leaves. (I know I know, bad practice...)

Oh, come on. Do you really want to tell me how I should drink tea? You really think that there's only one way, the right way, to brew and drink tea? Please.

And my favorite is when I drink tea, or hot chocolate, or sometimes even the occasional latte with someone. I like the conversation, the sitting, the break from the rush of everyday life. (Actually, in that case, hot chocolate really is my poison of choice...with whipped cream, of course.) And in those moments, I really do appreciate the construction of tea time.

No comments:

Post a Comment