2023-06-14

8 Anime Movies on Tubi I'm Considering Assigning for Class

 A couple of weeks ago, we received an email from the Dean of the Library saying we can no longer have digitized films up on our LMS. Sad, because...how else am I supposed to ask my students to watch anime films for free?

There are some movies available on Crunchyroll, but sometimes they're a bit hard to find (e.g., buried in the page of the related TV series). To start my Fall planning, therefore, I've made a list of potential anime films available on Tubi to consider putting on my syllabus.


1. The Case of Hana & Alice

Because it's tough to pass up a film by Iwai Shunji, who did the original live-action Fireworks TV series and film that got remade as the 2017 anime film (even though this one is tricky, because it's part of a larger set of works).


2. Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond

Because...why not?


3. Jin-Roh

Because what's not to love about noir anime about politics.


4. Junkers Come Here

Because it's by the same guy that did A Whisker Away, which has great songs but isn't on Tubi.


5. MEMORIES

Because everyone loves a good anime omnibus. Plus who wouldn't want to watch an anime based on an unsolved mystery case from Riverside, CA.


6. Napping Princess

Because works by Kamiyama Kenji are underappreciated.


7. The Princess and the Pilot

Because we can all use more animes based on light novels in our lives.


8. Tokyo Godfathers

Because Kon Satoshi is a genius, and this is my favorite of his works.



The Singaporean film Tatsumi is another possibility, if I can get myself to stomach the animation. And there are other films too (Afro Samurai: Resurrection? the 1988 Appleseed? Black Jack? Imaishi's Dead LeavesGolgo 13Ghost in the ShellSteamboy?) but...there are only so many weeks in a semester, and I can't bring myself to assign a dubbed anime...


No comments:

Post a Comment